Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Visit to the Cemetery

We've been having some pretty fantastic weather again, so one afternoon this last week I decided to make a trip to the cemetery to visit Michael & Gabriel's gravesite & bring them some flowers.

A thought occurred to me when I was on my way there. I thought it was a nice afternoon to go visit the gravesite. But really, is there such a thing as a nice time to visit the place where my sweet babies are buried? Negative of me, I know; and to be honest, I had a really good "visit" with them while I was there. I brought a blanket, so I could sit for a while, and my journal so I could write to them. And looking back, it was cleansing in a way, to go there on my own, and just take some time to really think about them - and only them. Sometimes it's difficult to go there with someone else (even Derek), because I just don't know what to do, or say. This way, I could just sit in silence & cry if I needed to; it was good to let my emotions do what they needed to do.

Here's a photo of their gravesite, where I spent half an hour or so, just remembering them, and writing to them:


Derek and I made the cross, for something temporary, until we can get a headstone made for them. Here's another photo of their tiny grave:


For some reason, I was surprised to see that grass is starting to grow over the dirt on their grave - a part of me doesn't want that to happen quite yet. It's almost like, once that dirt is gone, it isn't fresh anymore. But it still feels fresh to me some days.

Not a day goes by, that I don't think of you.

D.

1 comment:

  1. My darling sister. Not a day goes by that I don't think of you also. And send my love and happy thoughts your way. My heart breaks that I can't do more. But I know the love of God and our wonderful families and friends are there to hold you up. Just know that I love you, and admire you for your incredible strength. <3

    ReplyDelete